For those who aren’t already convinced that hiking is a great activity, this article may help you change your mind.
What’s so good about going outside and walking around in nature? It could be how free you feel when out in the open spaces and fresh air. It could be the beautiful nature scenes and landscapes you will get to enjoy. Or it could just be the feeling of getting away from everything that is causing you stress in your daily life.
While you are out hiking, you see, hear, and smell things you don’t get to experience in your every day life. Each season brings a new combination of experiences. Going hiking in the fall can give you the best views of the colorful leaves on the trees.
Benefits of Hiking:
1. Lowers the risk of heart disease
2. Builds muscle and bone density
3. Improves balance and your core strength
4. Helps you control your weight
5. Improves depression and anxiety
6. Improves your ability to learn and cognitive function.
7. Improves memory and creativity
8. Helps you sleep better
9. Improves problem solving and multi tasking abilities
10. Improves selective attention and inhibition
How to go Hiking as a Beginner:
1. Start on a flat surface, like going for a walk. There are hiking trails labeled as easy, medium, and hard (or something similar). Check out the difficulty before heading out.
2. Gradually increase the hills you hike up with each time you go. Don’t start off hiking up a big, steep hill. Also avoid hiking downhill as your first hike. Both up hill and down hill will increase your heart rate and will be more difficult at first.
3. Make sure you take some water, snacks, and an emergency kit (first aid). Don’t pack too much in your backpack at first. Pack more later, as you get used to carrying the weight.
4. Plan ahead for weather and terrain. Don’t go hiking in the pouring rain or in a thunderstorm. Muddy/slippery conditions, falling trees, high winds, and lightning are dangerous.
5. You can use hiking poles to help you balance and build upper body strength. Be sure to wear shoes with support and good traction.
Hiking in nature is an excellent activity for anyone to enjoy. Whether you are a beginner or advanced hiker it pays off to be out there and enjoying your adventures.